I can't believe it has been a year and 3 months since I last updated. Life gets in the way, I guess! It has been a super busy year, and I wanted to give a "Year in Review" so that I can remember all that has happened.
So, the last post was from my birthday in June, so I will start with July.
(Side note: I am doing this list from my Picasa photos, so I hope I remember everything!)
JULY
In July '09, I finally got a job after 5 months of being unemployed. Jen Seeker recommended me to Community Impact Newspaper for an Account Executive job, and I had the job within hours of interviewing. I sell advertising in the Georgetown/Hutto/Taylor market. It has been a great place to work, and the people there are just awesome. Within weeks of starting work, one of my co-workers (who is now my GM) asked me and David to come along on a wine tour trip that she had won. We had a blast at Messina Hof winery near Bryan, especially because of our tour guide, Fred.
We celebrated 4th of July at the lake (even without ANY water in the lake) and a mis-application of sunscreen turned David into a zebra.
Katy and Geoff came home for a weekend, so we went to Ft. Worth to see them. It was David's first time to Ft. Worth so we did a (hot) tour of TCU. Of course, I had to get a photo with the Horned Frog!

AUGUST
In August, I headed back to Ft. Worth for Caroline's bachelorette party. We rented a room in downtown Ft. Worth and went to dinner and then out to a few bars, making sure to hit up Pete's Piano Bar! It is THE place to go for bachelorette parties. Needless to say, we had a really fun time!
Then it was back to the Fort a few weeks later for the wedding! It was a super fun weekend, and I was honored to get to be a part of Caroline and Matt's day.
Later in August, we went to Port Aransas because Ginger and the kids were in town and she wanted to see the Snows. It was a very short trip, but it was great to be back at the beach, since I hadn't been in a lot of years. Of course we had ceviche! SO GOOD! David also liked getting to see the Texas coast for the first time.
I also got a great surprise in August... a REAL digital SLR camera! David surprised me with a new camera one random day after work. Photography has always been something I love and I hope that this camera will allow me to earn a living taking pictures someday!
SEPTEMBER
September saw us moving AGAIN. Mom and Dad found a renter for their condo (where we had been living rent-free since I lost my job), so we got the boot. We found a great apartment to move into, but it was a HOT day to move! These are photos of the apartment after we moved in - pretty comical!
In late September, Community Impact launched it's first newspaper in Houston, so we all loaded up on a bus and went down there for the evening. We had a great time, and it helped me to realize that I was working for a really great company!
OCTOBER
The MS Walk was in October at the Dell Diamond. Community Impact was a sponsor, so we went to volunteer. We had a great time walking and helping people register for the walk. These people I work with are crazy!
We also watched Mackenzie play in a few football games, which was awesome. Our whole family was proud of her for playing a "boys" game and holding her own! She was the kicker, so she got to be in the game pretty often.
We headed back north again, this time to Dallas, for my cousin Joe's wedding. It was a great night, and I really enjoyed seeing how completely in love Joe and Melanie are. It was the first time I had met Melanie, but I learned that she is a KKG, so I immediately loved her! They had the greatest wedding band I had ever heard, but unfortunately, I was getting sick that night and we didn't really dance because I was feeling so puny! I also loved getting to show David off to all my aunts and uncles. He is always the life of the party, and everyone loves him!
We climbed to the top of the 360 bridge lookout and took some cute pictures up there. It was my first time up there, and I was amazed at how far you can see! I love living in Austin where there are so many things to do and see!
NOVEMBER
November was Thanksgiving (of course) and it was a small gathering at Mom and Dad's house with just me and David and Uncle Phillip, Aunt Susan and Laura. This was our pretty Thanksgiving dinner table.
I am trying to think of what else went on in November, but that's all I got!
DECEMBER
Community Impact was a sponsor of the Christmas parade in Georgetown, and we got to decorate the CI Tahoe and ride in the parade with my team. We had a blast, and David is always a good sport and comes with me to these work things! I even got him to wear a Santa hat!
The Slaughters also had their annual Christmas party, which was, as always, a great time.
We had a CI Christmas party at the Garrett's house, and we were all surprised to receive a $100 bill from John. Again - what a great place to work!

Mom hosted the family for Christmas at her house. I just love the times when my whole family can get together. It is never EVERYONE anymore, since all of my cousins are grown up and have families of their own now, but it is a blessing that we are all still so close, even though there are so many of us. We invited Jay to come with us to Christmas Eve dinner, since he wasn't able to make it back to Virginia with his family. We loved having him there with us!
JANUARY
For New Year's, we got tickets to see Robert Earl Keen at Austin Music Hall. We went with Hunter and Lauren and some of their family and friends. Kristin and Jason Timmons happened to be there, so we got to hang out with them, too! We had so much fun... until we couldn't find a cab to take us home afterwards! We walked and walked and walked and Hunter had to finally come get us and take us to my parents' house. It was a not-so-fun end to a very fun night!
CI launched ANOTHER new paper in Lake Travis/Westlake, and we had another fun launch party. It was COLD but we still had a great time.
There was also a baby shower for Emily, hosted by Ann Palmer. I made a diaper cake for her, and it was the hit of the party! Emily is my first friend to have a baby, so it was exciting to walk with her through her pregnancy. She had an amazing 9 months, and I can only hope that my when I get pregnant, it can be so easy!
FEBRUARY
In February, our team at work got to go Dallas to see our paper being printed. It was so neat, and it was amazing to see how the paper goes from our computers at work to the paper.
I had asked Emily if she was interested in maternity shots before Tres arrived, and she was, and she let me take some photos of her baby belly. It was a really fun afternoon, and she was a natural model! I think some of these turned out really great.
The most fun part of February was the SNOW! It snowed about 4" in Austin, which NEVER happens, and we even got to go home early one day because of the weather! There were a lot of snowmen made and, even though it only lasted for a day, we had a great time playing and enjoying everything covered in white.
MARCH
We had a great March! We got to go to North Carolina to see David's family! I love them all so much, and it was such a enjoyable trip. I love seeing David in his element with his family, and it makes my heart happy to see him be so happy.
While we were there, we met Katy and Geoff in Charlotte. It was so good to see them and we had a adventure in downtown Charlotte! I miss Katy bunches since she moved away, and it was great to get to spend some time with them.
I told Emily before our trip that she had to tell Tres to stay inside until we got back but Richard Groos Slaughter, III "Tres" was born while we were in NC. I was bummed to be gone when her arrived, but we rushed to the hospital as soon as we got back, and visited with the Slaughters and Tres. He was the cutest little thing and I still cannot believe that Emily had him with NO drugs whatsoever! AMAZING!
We had our annual trip to the rodeo later on in February, and had a great time there, as always.
With water in the lake, we spent time out there for the first time in over a year. And, David posed in the bluebonnets. Ha!
APRIL
We spent Easter at the lakehouse, and little did I know, David was asking my Dad a very important question that weekend! This first photo was of the moment he was asking permission to marry me! Of course, I had no idea!
The next weekend, it was our 2 year anniversary and we went out to dinner at the place we had our first date. That night, we GOT ENGAGED! I'll have to do another post all about the proposal, but it was perfect and he did a great job surprising me! It is just so amazing that I get to spend the rest of forever with David. He is my best friend, and I don't know what I would do without him. He is the best at taking care of me, and he is so supportive! We set our wedding date for May 7, 2011.
Hunter and Lauren got engaged a few weeks after us, and we met them at Lambert's and then went out to celebrate with them! Alex was in town, so we met up with him and Whit and Jay after that.
Oh, and Andrea's bachelorette party was CRA-ZY! We had SUCH a great night celebrating Andrea before she tied the knot with Bill.
I also had my first photo shoot with Tres. He was such a good sport and let us put him in all kinds of places and positions! These are just a few of my favorites.
MAY
Apparently nothing happened in May, because I have no pictures from that month.
JUNE
June was my second photo shoot with Tres. He was just over 3 months old in these. What a cute little man he is!!
I guess I completely fell down on the job as far as photos go for this summer, cause I got nothing else for June.
JULY
Ginger and the kids were back for their summer time visit and we spent the majority of the time at the lakehouse. The kids swung off the rope swing what seemed like a million times. We went to Aquapalooza, and had a fun afternoon with the boat anchored in the middle of the lake, listening to Brad Paisley with 3,000 of our closest friends. David inherited the Sunfish sailboat, which as a side note, is older than me, and has now developed an obsession with getting it all fixed back up. He is a good sailor, but he did have a scary moment when the boat flipped over on top of him and he couldn't get out from underneath it. Luckily, Ginger saw it happen, and we all hopped in the boat and Gene jumped in to save him. It was really scary for him and for all of us watching, but all that was lost was a pair of sunglasses and some pride!
While Ginger was here, I took a day off of work and we all went wedding dress shopping! Mom, Ginger, Amy and Emily (and Tres) came with me and it was a really exciting day. The 2nd dress I put on at the 2nd place we went was "the one" and was EXACTLY what I wanted. It is the most beautiful dress, it fits my like a glove, and I am so happy to get to wear it on our wedding day in May!
I got a surprise promotion in July, too. I became a Senior Account Executive and it was a complete surprise. I was so excited! It came with a few more responsibilities and a little more money, so all-in-all it was a great thing!
Katy came home to see Beth and Shelby's new baby girl, Ellery, and so I drove up to see her. David was in Gulf Shores for Tim's bachelor party, and I was SO glad to have a something fun to do while he was gone. It was the longest we have ever been apart, and needless to say, I was a wreck without him! Katy and I went bridesmaids dress shopping while we were in FTW, and it was helpful to have a "model" with me to see what the dresses looked like in person!
For our engagement, David bought a bottle of Krug champagne, but that night we decided to go out downtown, instead of going home. So, we never got to drink it and it had just been sitting in the fridge waiting for us! We decided one random weekend night to go ahead and pop that bottle! We had crab cakes and shrimp cocktail (YUM!), and champagne and watched movies. It was such a fun night! I love this man so much!
AUGUST
The most exciting part of August was on August 1st. That is the day that I officially became Tres' godmother! Emily asked me and I was so very honored. Tres has two godfathers and one godmother, and I have already named myself his "fairy godmother"! David gives me a hard time because I love this little boy so much and David thinks I love Tres more than him! Of course, I could never love anyone more than him, but Tres does run a close second!
David and I went out to the lake by ourselves a few weekends ago and he re-rigged the Sunfish and went out for another test run. This time, with a life jacket on!
David also got a promotion at work, I just have no idea when that was, and we are blessed to have more money than we "need" coming in each month, so we are able to have some fun when we want to.
Whew! That was a lot of stuff and it literally took me a whole day to get all those photos loaded! I am sure I've left important stuff off, but that was most of what has happened in the last year. All-in-all, it was a great year. There have been fun times and tougher times, but we always get through together! I am so glad to have David around to share all of these moments with!
Katy

No comments:
Post a Comment