Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Let's Get This Thing Started...

So, I guess I’m supposed to write about what’s on my mind and things that are important to me in my life at the moment…

Number one on that list at the moment is: I AM UNEMPLOYED. And it sucks. A lot. I have been unemployed several times before, sometimes by choice, sometimes not. But, this time seems to be a lot harder than ever before. It is probably the worst time in history to be looking for a job and the jobs that are out there at the moment seem to be either very high level, technical jobs or very entry level, low paying, no experience kinds of jobs. I’m stuck in the middle of that. Now, I’m not trying to be like “oh poor pitiful me” about this, because I know there are hundreds of thousands of others in the exact same boat as me (some of whom I know), but I feel like I don’t have enough experience for some jobs listed online, and I have too much for others. It’s a tough place to be, especially with unemployment being higher than it’s ever been in my lifetime and watching more and more people lose their jobs every day, which, not to be tacky, means they are now my competition. It’s frustrating and de-motivating. And I am not ok with feeling that way.

I was officially laid off from Dell on January 23rd, so it really hasn’t been that long, but it is scary to think that in a few weeks I will have been unemployed for two months. I am pretty sure that I’m ok as far as money goes (I got severance, was forced to cash out my 401(k) and had some savings) but is sure is defeating to send David off to work every morning, not knowing when I’ll get to be the one battling traffic and heading to work. I’m quite sure I took that for granted every single day when I drove to Dell! It is saving me money on Tolls though! HA. Speaking of David, I couldn’t ask for a more supportive man in my life. David is wonderful, and reminds me every day that things will get better and that I will find something soon. He’s all into the market and financial websites and magazines, so he’s good at giving me the “facts” about what’s really going on and when things will turn around, not just for me, but for the whole country, too. In the meantime, it’s fun to “play house” with him and make his breakfast and lunch every morning and cook dinner for him every night. And I know he appreciates it, which makes it even more fun for me. My much wiser oldest sister told me the other day that it was a VERY good thing that this happened to me before David and I were married, since it’s such an emotional and difficult time for both of us. It’s a great testament to how things will be when the “going gets tough” once we are married. He has been everything I have needed and has done everything I have asked of him, and it just reiterates the fact that we are meant to be! An opportunity for a job will come along soon, I’m sure of it. Just gotta keep my chin up till then!

So, I guess I’m going back to the websites to see what new jobs have been listed lately. If anyone knows of any jobs out there, please let me know! Look forward to more upbeat posts soon!

1 comment:

  1. What do you think about becoming a flight attendant?? Geoff and I were talking about that this past weekend. We could see you doing something like that. Now I have no idea what you would have to do to become one but it might be something fun to do, you could travel and meet so many people while still being able to be at home some days. Just a thought to check out. Let me know what you think.

    By the way, great job on the blog and everything will get better, just stay positive and make sure to shower every day. :) LOL.

    ReplyDelete